When the Tide Comes In
By Vicki Stoodley
Computer Teacher K-8
A treasure hunt is a fun way to find information on the Internet in order to answer some questions.
This Treasure Hunt is about the Ocean Tides. It will lead you to some web pages about the tides. Click on each Internet link and read carefully before answering each question. You may not always need to read the whole web page to find the answer. Answer each question in a complete sentence on the answer sheet.
Have fun surfing!
1. What does the word tide mean?
2. What is a high tide? What is a low tide?
3. What two objects in our sky cause ocean tides?
Which has the greater effect?
4. What is a tidal range?
5. What is a spring tide?
What causes a spring tide?
6. What is a neap tide?
What causes a neap tide?
7. How long is a tidal cycle?
8. How many high tides occur each day?
How many low tides occur each day?
9. Why do the normal number of high and low tides not happen in some places?
Name one place where this is true, and tell how many high or low tides happen there.
10. What is the most interesting thing you learned today about tides?
URL: any of the web pages we have already visited.
Bonus: Click on the arrow at the bottom of this web page. Answer the quiz.